There were an estimated 686,000 domestic burglaries in the United Kingdom last year, according to the Office for National Statistics. Whilst the overall burglary claims rate fell 8 per cent last year, burglary still remains a concern for many areas, such as parts of London, Leeds and Cambridge. To protect your home, follow these six tips:
- Invest in stronger locks fitted on your windows and doors by a certified locksmith. In addition, you should test all locks to ensure that they are secure and in working order.
- Inspect door glazing to ensure that the glass panels are at least 6.4 millimetres thick and are either laminated or reinforced with a security film.
- Trim plants around doors and windows to ensure they do not provide any protection for potential burglars.
- Install motion-activated security lights outside any vulnerable windows and doors—including on your garden shed and garage.
- Consider purchasing a burglar alarm and posting signage letting any potential burglars know that your home is fitted with an alarm.
- Purchase an ultraviolet security pen and mark all your high-end electronics and valuables with it so you can identify them if they are stolen. You should use an easily identifiable marking, such as your first initial and surname. In addition, you may want to take photographs of the items—especially their serial numbers—in order to help the police identify your items more quickly.
After making sure your home is safe and secure, check that your home insurance policy offers the same sense of security. Meet with Bond Lovis Insurance Brokers to review your policy and close any potential gaps in your cover.