The Met office recently announced storm names for 2018-19, meaning flood season is officially here and set to make waves across the UK once again. In recent years, the threat of flooding has increased significantly, and these rough waters don't appear to be leaving anytime soon. In fact, the Met office predicted climate change could potentially make heavy downpours five times more likely by the end of the century.
Don't let your organisation sink during flood season. Stay afloat with the following natural disater recovery tips.
- Create a flood plan - During natural disasters, preperation is key. Be sure that your organisation has a comprehensive flood plan that includes the following crucial considerations:
- Assess your risks - Apart from the flood itself, natural disasters can create a domnino effect of other issues within your business if you aren't prepared. Implement mitigation measures to ensure that additional risks are under control during a flood. This could include locking windows and doors, making sure any workplace chemicals, oils or other hazardous substances are stored safely and will not contaminate the floodwater, having backup plans for broken supply chains and potentially finding another location to continue key business operations furing a flood.
- A list of important contacts, such as building services, suppliers and evacuation contacts for your employees. In addition, consider using Floodline, which allows you to receive flood warnings from the government when they arise.
- A detailed map that highlights the location of important property, protective materialsand service shut-off points.
- An outline of basic strategies for protecting your organisation's property, keeping your employees safe, preventing business disruption and establishing effective recovery efforts.
- Checklists of procedures for staff to follow during a flood.