Sprains, strains and tears to muscles and connective tissues are some of the most common injuries workers experience. Sprains and strains can result from lifting injuries, being hit by falling objects or even a simple misstep. Overusing your muscles can also cause these injuries.
- To reduce your risk of experiencing sprains and strains on the job, keep the following tips in mind:
- Use extreme caution if you are lifting something particularly heavy. When in doubt, ask for help.
- Reduce repetitive movements if possible. Chronic strains are usually the result of overusing the same muscles.
- Use proper form when completing tasks, as extensive gripping can increase the risk of hand and forearm strains.
- Consider your posture when sitting for long periods of time and maintain an overall relaxed position.
- Maintain a healthy fitness level outside of work to keep your body strong and flexible.
- Stretch before you begin working, and take short breaks throughout the day to stretch and rebalance your body.